Heaven...God's Retirement Plan
Billy Graham once said that we were created with a God-Shaped Void in our Heart.
No person or any material thing can fill this void except God Himself. Unfortunately, many have tried to fill that void with everything except a relationship with God.
Admittedly, many attempts are very satisfying. Many things can bring temporary relief from the emptiness, but the emptiness returns. While lying in bed late at night or early in the morning, some experience a deep feeling that something is missing, or is just not right. That haunting feeling of emptiness is best understood as one’s soul craving for a relationship with God. Nothing less than a relationship with God can make that craving go away.
You can put yourself in a position to receive God’s blessings. The truth of the matter is that you will never know the extent of the wonderful blessings God will provide unless you put yourself in a position to receive them. God knows that you need encouragement and blessings.
Two of your best sources for receiving daily blessings from the Lord are those of prayer and reading your Bible. A great starting point would be to spend a few moments each day in prayer, and then read a chapter from the Psalms or the Proverbs, and the Gospel of John. You will probably remember John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
How does one get to know Jesus personally? By FAITH.
- Forgiveness: repent, or turn away from your sins, and ask God to forgive all of them
- Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior
- Invite him into every area of your life
- Truth: discover God’s life-changing truths in the Bible and begin following Jesus as Lord of your life
- Have a great time worshipping God and growing in you relationship with him in a Christ-centered church
As I grew up, I embraced the teachings of Christ and the Christian faith as revealed in God’s Word, the Bible. While an undergraduate student at a major university, I became actively involved in Campus Crusade for Christ International. When its founder, Dr. Bill Bright, visited our campus, he challenged several hundred students to be faithful in their daily relationship with the Lord. He emphasized that being a Christian and living one’s Christian life must carry over into all areas of our lives.
I leave you with one of the positive truths that Bill Bright shared with us: “God loves you and offers a wonderful plan for the rest of your life.” This is a truth you can count on. It is true no matter where you have been, no matter what you have done in your past, or no matter what you may be experiencing in the present. God really does love you, and wants to enable you to succeed. For me, true success comes through my relationship with Christ.
For more information about God’s wonderful plan for the rest of your life and to discover how to know Jesus personally, check out Campus Crusade’s website.
The Lord wants to bless you. He is on your side and wants to help in every area of your life. Draw closer to him, pray, and study the Bible every day. If you are not already involved in a church, do something good for yourself and seek out a Christ-centered church and begin building relationships with people there. The Lord and his people can offer friendship, acceptance, moral support, prayers, and many other blessings.
If you are already a believer, God wants to enable you to experience GROWTH.
- Grow stronger in your relationship with God and other Christians. Spend time with God every day and engage in activities that will encourage your spiritual growth. Ask God to give you a passion for spiritual growth.
- Recommit yourself to grow closer to God. Recession, layoffs, financial difficulties, and a poor economy can cause great stress. God can help you if you will draw closer to him. Get to know him intimately
- On Sunday, go to a Christ-centered church where you can serve God, make friends with other people, and make a difference with your life.
- Witness to others about your faith by telling them about Jesus. Don’t just stand there, get involved. Ask God to use you to help other people.
- Take charge of your personal spiritual growth, and lead your family to grow spiritually as well. Ask God’s Holy Spirit to lead you every day.
- Have a renewal of your faith. Here is a Guarantee for Christians: if you will invest yourself in a more intimate and closer relationship with the Lord, he will bring blessings into every area of your life that honors him.